Recommendations for acute diarrhea
Recommendations for acute diarrhea – Guide for rehydration and oral nourishing:
During 6-12 hours you shouldn’t have any food. Have a liquid diet just having oral rehydration at least two or three liters per day. If you are vomiting you should drink little sips or you can even have it with a spoon.
After 12-24 hours and when your depositions are regular (3-4 per day), you ‘ll be able to start a soft diet gradually, in order to come back to your normal diet later on.
Boiled rice, mashed potatoes, semolina, gelatinezed products, hard boiled eggs or poached eggs, boiled white fish, white bread, strained broth (made of rice, carrots and celery).
Vegetables, cabbage, coliflower, sauces, any type of fat. Fried eggs, chips, spices, any type os sweets, coffee, tea, cacao, nuts, almonds, alcohol.
- If you can’t have any liquids, you must go to the hospital.
- If after 24-48 hours you continue having diarrhea (more than 3 liquid depositions per day), you must go to the doctor.
- If you are having high temperature, you must go to the doctor.
- Don’t have any fried food or sauces until four or five days after the diarrhea has finished.
The use of a probiotic (for example: casenfilus) is recommended to regenerate completely the intestinal flora.
When should I call a Doctor?
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- Blood in your diarrhea or black, tarry stools
- A fever that is high (above 101 F) or that lasts more than 24 hours
- Diarrhea lasting longer than 2 days
- Nausea or throwing up that prevents you from drinking liquids to replace lost fluids
- Severe pain in your belly or rear end
- Diarrhea after coming back from a foreign country
Also, call your doctor right away if you have diarrhea and any of these signs of dehydration:
- Dark urine
- Smaller than usual amounts of urine or, in a child, fewer wet diapers than usual
- Rapid heart rate
- Dry skin
For more comprehensive information check the Mayo Clinic website
If you think you may have Gastroenteritis and you need medical assistance call us at +34 600 88 55 58 or you can visit our clinic in Alcudia, Mallorca following this link: https://g.page/medicaremallorca